Monday, January 17, 2011

Mis-Perceptions on Standardbreds

One of my goals in doing this project is to show people how great Standardbreds are. I fully intend on disproving these myths in subsequent posts, while working with Danney.

http://www.examiner.com/horse-in-canada/10-myths-about-the-standardbred-horse

Here they are:
  • Standardbreds are only pacers
  • Standardbred pacers never trot
  • Standardbreds can not canter or lope.
  • You can't ride a Standardbred
  • If you ride a Standardbred, all it will do is pace at 40 mph.
  • Standardbreds are ugly.
  • Standardbreds are "cheap" horses.
  • All Standardbreds coming off the track will have bad legs.
  • Standardbreds are "hot" 
I'm going to add my own as acquired by lurking message boards and reading what people say about this breed. For every one person who says the Standardbred is a calm, docile, people friendly breed, there are seemingly a litany of folks who want to point out that:
  • Standardbreds are crazy
  • Standardbreds cannot bend
  • Standardbreds won't give to the bit
  • Standardbreds make bad dressage horses
Hmm, well, it looks like I have my work cut out for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment