Thursday, February 7, 2013

Something Not Quite Right

Sorry for the lack of updates. I really haven't had much to write about. My riding time has almost disappeared due to a major project at work. To be honest, I don't really mind, because lately we're just a little...not right.

Ben is being a very good boy. And there are things he's doing very well - his trot is amazing now, once he's warmed up, forward thinking, and loose. You can really feel it - and I think we'd get some pretty decent scores if we could show it to a judge.

His canter, however has gone crappy. First it was his left lead. Now the right lead has lost a bit of the brilliance it had. You can push it out of him, but he's just not offering it like he was.Trainer can obviously get better out of him, but even she feels like something is just..off with him.

Additionally, he's decided, as of wednesday, to be a mega bit grinder.

He's done the bit grinding thing before, but abandoned it a long time ago. I actually forgot about it until he broke out into tune. Quick, someone grab the ear plugs.

Ahh so what to do. Is it physical pain? Is it boredom?  I don't know really. He doesn't look to be in pain, and he's not lame...but is he guarding something? His saddle is due for its 3 month check up, and I do think it could use a bit of a flocking adjustment...could it be that simple? He's also coming up on his due date for a dental check and probable float.

He's also been going around in circles in a teeny little box of an arena all winter long. Could he just be...bored?

Could it be all of that put together?

Unfortunately it is going to take some time to figure out, but we'll slowly tick things off the list. If anything it'll buy us some time for Spring to arrive- and hopefully with that we'll be able to get out on a trail or something.

In the mean time, I am going to try to set up some ground poles again to see if that helps the canter stuff at all. Trainer suggested maybe I set up a crossrail to pop over a bit too - just something to mix it up.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear your ride wasn't so hot. How old is he? He is still pretty young right? I would tend towards thinking he is bored. It sounds like you are on top of keepng him sound and comfortable. My TB mare used to start randomly spooking. Bre also turned into a stress case when we spent too long in the arena. When the teeth grinding started I knew it was time to go over poles/exes or just let her be and work on myself (two point until my legs burned, posting with no stirrups, bareback).

    I hope we get some more sunny weather. I am sure itching to haul out on the trail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's going to be 5 on April 15th, so yes, quite young. I do think he is bored. In fact, last night, we shared the arena with a horse/rider we never ride with - and he was definitely a bit more distracted by that and didn't offer to grind on the bit until the very end of the ride.

    Then today I tried a new saddle and that seemed to clear up our canter issues.

    So I think its definitely a combination of boredom (he's also beginning to be a bit gate sour at 1 gate), and some physical stuff like saddle fit.

    I CANNOT WAIT to go for a ride outside!!!!

    ReplyDelete