Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Why is this so...easy?

Somehow, out of the adversity we just went through, came big change.

I had another few rides on Ben. I'm a little alarmed because things have gotten easier. I know I probably just jinxed myself, but it is true. We are no where near perfect, but all of a sudden I feel like I have a much steadier horse underneath me. One who is accepting and taking contact (most of the time), and listening to much lighter leg aids. I feel like I am working less to achieve better results.

This doesn't go for our canter work, haha. I am getting better at asking for canter, but keeping it is still a struggle. His canter, while MUCH improved, still needs quite a bit of help, especially to the right.  I can't quite relax the body parts that need relaxing, aka my lower half. When I do that, he breaks to trot.  And then we're a jumbled mess, so we have to regroup, ask again. Its tough because i need to get faster at re-asking him, but in order to do that I need to have my shit together, which tends to fall apart when he breaks. We're getting it, but it is still a struggle. I am still working for every stride of the canter I get, both from him and myself.

We'll get there.

But back to the good stuff- man our trot work has gotten much better. As have our transitions (funny how that works, LOL). Just last night I was able to keep him together and change directions in big figure 8's without fishtailing around. I was able to do some 10 m circles without his shoulder flying out the side door.

I love having a nice horse, I hope he sticks around for awhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment